TRADE MARK REGISTRATION
A trademark is a distinctive sign or indicator used by an individual or business organization to identify that the products or services to consumers with which the trademark appears originate from a unique source and to distinguish its products or services from those of other entities. Registering a trademark gives the owner rights to the use of the sign.
Benefits of trademark registration
A trademark adds great value to a business. By filing for trademark registration, the trademark owner obtains certain rights, including:.
- ownership of a certain trademark and
- the right to prevent others from using a similar mark without permission.
The owner of the registered trademark can exploit his/her mark in many ways, including:
- Use it to better protect their market share (i.e. profits) by barring others from copying it;
- license it to third parties for commercial returns (e.g. through a franchise);
- Sell the mark outright for a specified value (e.g. in a company acquisition); and
- May use the mark to raise equity for business undertakings.
Bellwether helps clients in virtually all industries, obtain, protect and enforce patents, trademarks, copyrights, trade secrets and other intellectual property rights. We have strong technical backgrounds and extensive legal and commercial experience as in-house IP counsel, patent and trademark examiners.